Sunday, November 2, 2014

Where I am

I am in the kitchen making coffee. I am in the mirror feeling pleased. I am in a taxi leaking words. I am in a sari inviting attention. I am on the floor getting down. I am in conversation dispensing sass. I am at the bar requesting gin, water, gin. I am at a table twisting naan into mutton. I am on a couch leaning in. I am in a room on a lark. I am out the door with a shrug. I am in a garden answering questions. I am in a singalong at dawn. I am in a cab with my patience wearing thin. I am in the door with a sigh of relief. I am in a quilt on a high bachelor bed. I am reading cross-legged on an overnight train. I am in a blindfold with my heart in my mouth. I am in a pit with a bullet in my back. I am squatting under a sheet of corrugated tin. I am in a country with a passport. I am in the wild with a wound. I am in a fog with a flag. I am in a balloon with a pin. I am moving so that nothing is certain. I am on the road with the wind. I am using my tongue so I don't turn numb. I am opening up for whiskey and thrill. I am merry in a polka dotted spin. I am walking down an alley with a crick in my neck. I am sifting through lettuce with an arch in my back. I am asleep with my nose in the crook of an elbow. I am waking with a hand on my hip. I am speeding through the street with a grin on my face. I am jumping on a bus with an inflated heart. I am in a place I've never been. I am muddy in the field and damp in the grass and brown like the ground in my skin.

1 comment:

  1. "I am in a blindfold with my heart in my mouth." Amazingly put.

    ReplyDelete